Sunday, August 2, 2009

Wednesday July 22-2009

A lot happened this day. The usual monitoring, peeing in a cup to be measured by the nurse, blood being drawn, Magnesium being switched out, IV being filled, ordering breakfast and lunch. Drinking water- but not too much. They were monitoring that too. I guess if you drink too much fluids while being on Magnesium you could get too much water into your lungs and could die. ? So- they gave me one cup of water every like 5 hours or something like that. I was VERY thirsty! 

The Perinatologist came in and did an ultrasound on me to make sure that just in case they had to deliver that baby girl was okay to come out. Of course at this point if they had to deliver within 24-48 hours she would have to be in the NICU. Daniel and I decided that they were leaning more on the side of delivering me within that 24-48 hour range instead of keeping me on bed rest till she was a little bit older. What they were failing to tell us was that my body was going out. She needed to come out ASAP! The ultrasound looked really good. She was still happy inside and they checked to make sure that she wasn't in any distress. The doctor who did the ultrasound was very nice. I will remember him forever. 

My doctor came in that day. She told me that everything was going to be okay. She said that I would be giving birth in the next 24-48 hours. She apologized for everything being so rushed and she knew I was confused and scared. I cried. 

At around 12 or 12:30 that afternoon my nurse came in and asked about my last live birth. I told her that with Laila I was in active labor for an hour and a half and pushed for 10 minutes and she was out. Without an epidural! She told me that she was going to induce me and put me on Pitocin and hopefully I would have a baby within hours. She hooked me up and after about 20 minutes I was starting to feel real contractions. They weren't too painful yet. Just pressure. She kept coming in and checking the monitors. She had another nurse come in to look at something. The anesthesiologist came in and administered the epidural. She didn't start the drip because I wanted to wait until the pain hit. I remember the epidural hurting really bad. I cried. I just remember thinking- Oh my gosh, I have been beaten up! I had a bunch of IV's, shots for the steroids, this Magnesium stuff that was making me feel horrible, sleep deprivation, my blood being drawn every hour and anxiety! I hung my head and cried. Cried because I was so afraid that it was too early to deliver my lil babe. But I realized that at this point I didn't have a choice. 

The nurse came in and said that baby did not like the contractions or the Pitocin. They were going to take me off of it. My doctor came in and held my hand. She told me that they were going to take me into C-section before the baby started to get distressed. Her heart rate went down just a little bit and they just wanted to take all precautions. The best thing to do at this point was to just get her out as fast as they could. I agreed and then things got really hectic. Before I knew it there were lots of people in my room preparing stuff, sterilizing stuff, talking medical stuff that I could not understand. They wheeled me into a white room and some guy ( I am assuming the anesthesiologist) was up by my head warning me before they did anything down below because I could not see anything. They made Daniel get dressed up in scrubs so he could sit by my side and hold my hand.  In that white room there were all of the doctors, nurses, helpers, anesthesiologist, and 5-6 people from the NICU team. I swear like 15-20 people in the room. Dr. Necole and her husband Dr. Brian started to do their thing. 

All I remember was tugging and pulling, some pushing and voila baby was out. Dr. Necole said "Oh, she has so much hair!" Daniel peeked over. They gave the baby to the NICU team and they did somethings to her and then Daniel went away with her. I was left there and then wheeled into a recover room which I swear was a hall closet with a curtain. My nurse was so wonderful. Her name is Traci. I knew that she sincerely cared about me. I felt like I had known her forever. Like we had been friends forever. She watched over me and was very easy to talk too. She slipped me some Morphine to ease the pain. And that stuff made me so sick. I sat in recovery for about 2 hours. I was so sleepy. But she wouldn't let me fall asleep because the monitors would go off signaling that I was dead. :( And the beeping on the machines would wake me up. So I stayed awake trying to make conversation. All I wanted to do was close my eyes and sleep. My Aunt Noreen, Aunt Maggie and Daniel and Jake and Tara Bolin came in to see me in the recovery room. Daniel was so thrilled! He came in and told me all about our little tiny and how beautiful she was. "I'm going to go back and see her." He said. And left. I didn't care that I was alone in this hall closet. I was so happy to be alive and have my baby girl be okay. 

After 2 long hours of trying to keep my eyes open. The nice nurses who came on shift at 7 pm to take Traci's place wheeled me out of the closet and into the hall. I started to vomit all over the place. I was SO sick! They even wheeled me into the NICU to see my baby but I was puking the whole time. All I could do was look at her from afar. I was so sad. I was wheeled up to my recovery room and I had visitors coming in and out. I was talking to them with my eyes closed. I could not open them for the life of me. It was the weirdest feeling. It was somewhat awkward because to everyone it was like a "YAY! Congrats you had a baby!" And I was like "YAY! I am alive but my baby is in the NICU!" At the time it didn't seem like much of a celebration. But after the morphine wore off- I looked at it as a celebration as well. 

I slept okay that night. I wondered how I was going to do it. I wanted to see my baby but was too sick to go down there. Daniel went and spent some time with her. All night actually. He became good friends with the nurse and they chatted away into the wee hours of the night. He can make a friend anywhere. I love him. He was with our baby and I knew everything would be okay. 

1 comment:

Tara said...

Your story gives me the chills. I am so happy that you and Baby Eisley are doing so well now! Love you!